Thanks to all of the volunteers and sponsors who made the 2nd annual DarkHorse event held this last Friday night at Chagrin River Park a huge success!!!
A record number of attendees (247) were extremely complimentary of
nearly everything about the event. Challenges were awesome, course was
incredibly well marked (the luminaries really make it special) and they
really appreciated all of the raffle prizes (over $1200 in value). Of
course it did not hurt that it was an absolutely beautiful evening.
Preliminary financials show this is one of our most successful
fundraising events of the year which will allow us to make a significant
contribution to the charity for the event, the Lake Metroparks
Foundation. Please let us know of your ideas for new course challenges
for next year!!!
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
PACKET PICKUP: CANCELLED - Shirts are not in!!!
No Packet Pickup tonight at Second Sole. We will have shirts at the race for all pre-registered runners up to 244. Sorry about the last minute change of plans.
A record crowd is expected for the event tomorrow night (Friday) starting at 8:30 PM. As of now we have 199 pre-registered!! Perfect weather conditions are expected!!
RIVER CROSSING LOOKS TO BE A GO!!!! The Chagrin Water levels and flow rate are continuing to recede to close the the lowest levels in a month!! A "wet crossing" is a fun option at 1 mile into the course this year.
Over $1000 of raffle prizes will be awarded to participants that take on the challenges that they encounter out on the 5K course!!! Your chances to win go up depending on the number of challenges you do.
REGISTRATION: Race Day registration ($25) will be available at the race site starting at 7:00 PM on Friday. Or, you can register online ($20) up to midnight Thursday night.
DIRECTIONS: Follow the signs from the Highway 2 exit at Lost Nation Road south to the Erie Road entrance of the park.
Online registration closes Friday midnight!
If you are looking for a simple 5K to run, the DarkHorse may not be for you. If running in a park at night with music, lots of lighting effects, special challenges and many more race day surprises, you’ve come to the right place!!
Optional Challenges if you dare!!!
... along the race course including a possible shallow water crossing (weather permitting).
Awards and prizes for completion of challenges (and not based on finish line time)
Special thanks to Lake Metroparks and
Second Sole Mentor for their support!!
Hat's off to Sign Expressions of Mentor for designing the shirt artwork!
- BRING HEADLAMP OR A FLASHLIGHT - The course will be well marked but please have with you a headlamp or flashlight since much of the course is dark.
- NO PERSONAL MUSIC PLAYERS ALLOWED - The primary reason is for safety. This is a night race with a lot of things going on and we need you to always be aware of your surroundings. Also, we have worked hard to make this race about the experience – share it WITH us!
- PLEASE TRY TO COME EARLY - This is a beautiful park with a small area for parking. We will have volunteers helping direct you where to park. This will get very backed up if everyone waits until 8:00 PM or later.
- GETTING WET IS OPTIONAL - All challenges are optional. They are meant to be fun and easy enough for almost anyone to do. We suggest you bring a towel and/or warm dry clothes to change into before awards are given out.
- We recommend using the Erie Road entrance on the south side of Chagrin River Park. See map at the bottom of this page for directions. More info about the park is available here http://www.lakemetroparks.com/select-park/chagrin-river.shtml
- No pets on the course!
- No littering!
- No alcohol!
Sorry, our course map not available at this time. See column on the right side of this blog for links to registration, our running club, and other useful info.
Scroll down to view Chagrin River Park map. Click on map image to link to larger PDF version. Please note there are 3 entrances to the park... we recommend using the Erie Rd entrance but will update this post with other choices as needed.